Saturday, February 23, 2013

Top Ten Take Aways!


My Top Ten Take-Aways – ED521
Final Blog

            There are so many tools and ideas I will take away from this course – tools that will make my life more organized, simple, and more interesting! Here are my Top Ten Take-Aways!

1. Diigo – I love love love Diigo! I had always thought it would be great to be able to bookmark items from other computers and be able to access my bookmarks without having to have my work computer with me. This allows me to do just that! I didn’t know there was such a thing! I will use it professionally and personally to keep track of articles and websites I want to remember!

2. Drop Box -  This is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. This eliminates having to email yourself and having to use a flash drive to retrieve your documents! I will use this personally for family photos (I will be able to share them more easily), and I will use it professionally for documents on my computer. One more way to back up the important pictures and documents I have on my computer.

3.Google Sites – I have always wanted to do a classroom website or blog, but didn’t really know how to get started. Google makes them easy to create! I will be making a classroom blog to post pictures, announcements, and newsletters. I will create a family blog to remember special events in my own life.

4.Google Calendar – I think I am in love! I absolutely love having my calendar on my computer and on my phone! I also love that I can share my calendar and get reminders via email and text message. Hello organization!

5. Photobooth –I can’t believe this was on my computer and I didn’t know it! I am wanting to use this in my classroom very soon! I like that you can create custom backgrounds and it is so quick and easy. My students will get a kick out of it!

6.Twitter – I never thought I would be on the bandwagon, but here I go! I will use the professionally to keep up with the latest in teaching and technology! I like following different teachers and tech savvy people.  I learn so much from people that I never even would have thought to ask. Teachers sharing ideas? Yes please!!!

7. Glogster - is a tool that allows users to create virtual posters combining text, audio, video, images, and hyperlinks and to share them with others electronically. This is a fun way to spice things up in the classroom for presenting, and student may be able to create their own simple glogs!

8.Voicethread – I will use this in my classroom to share images and discuss them. It is fun to do, and kiddos love to see their own pictures and their own voices!

9. Google Documents – I will use this professionally to collaborate with colleagues. It is so much easier to share a document than to copy, paste, and resend it back and forth. This would have been handy for group work in college! I can also use it personally – I think about organizing who will bring what dishes for holidays…we could all sign up on a Google document!

10. Google+ Hangouts – I will use this personally to keep in touch with family members who live out of the area. I think this is a much better way to communicate than Skype because you can have more than just two people involved in the conversation at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment